Saturday, June 24, 2006

Update June 21: "Church?"

I have a very different view of the Scriptural obligation ot "assemble yourselves together" than the common one I have heard for so long: "Go to church regularly (and pay your tithes there) or you're being unfaithful." I see that Jesus is assembling together His Body to function as He has given us gifts--"and so much the more as you see the day approaching." Jesus identifies himself as the woman who has lost a coin, or the shepherd who has lost one lamb--intensely concerned for the one lost in order to fill the complement of the whole group. He wants us "assembled", that is, each one in place, doing what He has assigned and blessed each one of us to do. I believe that sometimes this means going to 'church', and sometimes not.
I have had help in seeing this from Bruce Gibson, a powerful praying friend who does not go to church, and this has been confirmed in my own prayer times. My wife just bought me a book by George Barna called Revolution on this topic, and I have just started looking into some of the writings of Brian McLaren and others on the "emerging church."
I don't know what exactly I am looking for, but I know (intimately) a lot of things that it is not, and I know that Jesus delights in expressing His presence and character in ways and places where we are not looking for Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home