Sunday, July 02, 2006

insights and disclaimer

Thanks to those who have shown interest in what I have been sharing in here. I remember when I first heard messages like this--and others on themes like the seven feasts of Israel (grouped into three festival seasons, sometimes known as the three feasts) and the Song of Solomon. I was completely taken by the experience of revelation, and I remember thinking that I had found a secret to all the patterns of the universe in the threefold pattern I have been describing--applicable to the three parts of a plant seed, the inner and outer workings of atoms, the physics of the cosmos--as well as the Trinity and the pattern of the human being as spirit/soul/body. I was overjoyed at the insight and very happy inside--perhaps like the feeling someone has who experiences one of Ken Wilber's unitive insights, or enlightenment in other forms (as in Kill the Buddha).
It was great fun! I became an evangelist and tried to bring my brother and my closest friends into the neo-gnostic fold of those who understood these things.
I have to put in a disclaimer here, since the reality that "knowledge is power" unfortunately applies to spiritual knowledge as well, and this kind of insight can be and has been misused to support exclusivism and a cult mentality. This was done with these insights like this: the three rooms of the Tabernacle were related to three levels of spiritual experience--the outer court was a basic salvation experience; the Holy Place was a baptism in the Spirit with the corresponding gifts of insight and power; the Holy of Holies was reserved for the few who would attain spiritual perfection and immortality in this life. Similarly with the three feasts of Israel: those who could see this or who were hearing it preached were of course among the special "in" group who were going to make it to the spiritual big-time and who were of course far superior to the "ordinary Christians" of the lower ranks of spiritual experience. I remember clearly that one of the early teachers of thisgroup said that "What the mystics of the early and medieval church attained to [union with God, perfection] as individual saints, we are going to attain to as a corporate group for the first time in the history of the church." In this way the reality of the open heavens and free access to God proclaimed in the Bible was twisted into a closed message of exclusivism and elitism.
So I want to state that by writing this out for the group here, I am officially renouncing the exclusivism of these revelations and doing what I can to open them out to "Whosoever will," that is, whosoever has any interest in going in to the presence of God and getting to know Him there.I do believe that each of the pieces of furniture in the House of God has deep spiritual meaning, and I know where I belong, where my "favorite" place is (if I can use that word): the incense altar, the place of daily surrender and intercession. That's where I go and spend my time and energy whenever I have any--my default location, my spiritual position of choice.
Blessings and love to all,
Peter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home